« NYC Media Trek | Main | Reward Time - Part 2 »

Reward Time

Posted by Luiz on 18 March 2010

Some of the greatest moments in life are the ones in which you reap the rewards of an objective you worked long and hard to achieve. My main goal of coming to the MBA was to transition from industry into consulting. And oh, I had a big surprise when I found out how early the recruiting process starts.

Applications for summer internship are due by mid-January. Since the summer internship is often a great way to secure your post-MBA job, it is important to do well on that process. This means that November and December should be used for networking, preparing CVs and cover letters, and preparing for interviews. Thus, by mid-October it is essential to have a good idea of where you want to work. You may be thinking: isn’t the MBA an opportunity to step aside, get exposed to new ideas and think about what I want to do? Well… while you can take the time off to think without pressure, the earlier you focus your efforts on your desired field the higher your chances of succeeding (my recommendation for you that are applying to b-school is to use your career goals essay not only to convince Adcom but also to make serious reflection of what are your goals, as these will soon need to be very clear). Prioritizing consulting in the job search process was not easy for me - I have always been interested in trying new and different things and at LBS I was presented with many opportunities such as private equity panels, marketing presentations and industry club events.

The MBA journey has been long: taking the GMAT, writing essays, being accepted, financing the MBA, relocating to a new country, studying to achieve good grades, preparing for job interviews and doing job applications. There were difficult times in which I thought: “Why am I doing this? Is it all worth?” Encouragement from friends and family helped me overcome these weak times and it all paid off last week when I received an offer to join a top consulting firm for the summer. Thus, the moment of signing the contract for the summer internship had a very special meaning for me, one that I will not forget easily. And if you, dear applicant, are in one of those weak moments: yes, the journey is long and hard, but it is well worth!

Hi luiz, your posting was highly motivating. My name is bamidele- an applicant from Nigeria- and i wish to say that i expressed same fears you mentioned in your posting.

I take the points made as a motivating factor especially your recent job offer. i really hope to make the best of my stay in LBS if admitted. Would like to ask more questions from you. My email is ojomo.bamidele@gmail.com.

Regards

http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d834527c6769e20120a951d46b970b

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Reward Time: