« October 2009 | Main | December 2009 »

The beauty of Sundowners

Posted by Kimmi on 15 November 2009

Oh, sundowners.  How I love thee.  In case you are wondering what Sundowners refers to, it is essentially a standing party of sorts that takes place at LBS every Thursday between 6-830pm.  A group of lovely volunteers from the Senior MBA class serves free (yes, free) wine, champagne, and beer to all LBS students.  It's marvelous.  Given that most students dont have class on Fridays, Sundowners provides the perfect opportunity to close out the week and kickoff the weekend.  My favorite part about Sundowners is the many conversations I hear transpiring - from one extreme to the other.  Here's a select sampling of what I can recall from this Thursday (names disguised, and statements paraphrased):

Conversation 1

Student 1: Flip cup rocks.

Student 2: What is flip cup?

Student 1: Oh, man you don't know what flip cup is?  You are missing out!

Student 1: So what is it?

Student 2: Only the best thing the Americans ever invented.

Moral: Try new things.

Conversation 2

Student 1: I'm flying to New York this weekend to close my deal.

Student 2: That's great, so you sold your business?

Student 1: Yes, just finalizing details.  Got more than I even expected. Ready to start my next venture this summer through Entrepreneurship Summer School. Looking for partners actually.

Student 1: I'm in.

Moral: Don't shy away from the unplanned / unexpected.

Conversation 3:

Student 1: I miss X (some food chain in the US). I want to become one of their franchise owners and expand operations to the East Coast of the US.

Student 2: You know I know the owner?  

Student 1: You're bull*itting me.

Student 2: No, I am serious. My Dad and the owner met in Asia;  I have known the owner for ages.  I can introduce you.

Student 1: Yes, please.  Unreal.  I'm so glad I came to Sundowners.

Moral: Go to Sundowners!

Friday 6 November, Stage 1 interview decision

Posted by Adcoms on 05 November 2009

Thank you for all the applications we received at Stage 1 for the full time MBA class of 2012.  The Admissions Team have been busy reading your applications over the last month and if you have submitted an application, you can expect to receive your decision by the close of business on Friday 6.

All applicants will receive an admissions decision by e-mail.

Good luck!

The MBA Recruitment and Admissions Team

Ready, Set, Rat Race!

Posted by Jenny on 03 November 2009

I’m here in the library but I’d like to take a break from midterm cramming - which admittedly is difficult when you still haven’t quite gotten over the Halloween party mode. Let’s talk about internships for a bit. Yesterday I submitted my first application for an internship. Yes. Yes. Oh yes. It’s only November, barely 3 months in and we’ve already started the race for that much coveted investment banking/private equity/consulting summer associate position. Ready, set, rat race!

I have to say that contrary to popular (hopeful) belief, being at LBS does not mean a job will land on our laps like manna from the heavens. This is in no way saying that LBS does not help us at all with finding jobs – because they do – CV, cover letters, interview prep, etc – Career Services will bend their backs for us and we are of course eternally grateful. The trouble however is that we have to know first what we want to do, and then we can go to them and ask for help. Unfortunately there is no surefire formula to have that what-do-I-really-wanna-do-with-my-life epiphany. And no, there is no direct correlation between the number of hours spent at the Windsor pub and the degree of certainty of one’s future. Let’s stop fooling ourselves.

Anyway, I came to LBS two months ago thinking that I would not go back to anything remotely related to banking anymore and go to non-profit instead. Naturally though, with all the company presentations and club infosessions taking over my lunch and dinner schedule, combined with a realization that this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to press the restart button in my life – I actually decided to take a peek at what’s out there. And I peeked. And then I clicked the submit button. Sorry, non-profit. Yesterday I applied for a banking position. Yes, I’m a sell-out.

But wait, what’s the thought process here?

Two weekends ago I decided I actually needed to sit down and THINK. So I did. For an entire day. I sat down, made a spreadsheet with different colors and laid out my Plans A, B, C, and Z, and noted the pros and cons and the deadlines and requirements for each. (Yes, I'm that much of a geek.) So the results: PLAN A is UN, World Bank, IFC. PLAN B is Consulting (non-profit sector). PLAN C is my safety jobs (which is still empty at the moment). And PLAN Z – Z being Zee Wildcards – are my much beloved banks. The banks made the cut because – who am I fooling here – Zee money iz good. End of story. Again, yes, I’m a sell-out.

A friend said that it’s ridiculous that my spreadsheet spans all sectors – Finance, Consulting, and Industry. It’s like I’m covering all bases, LOL. I know, it’s crazy. It’ll be tough, but that’s no reason not to do it. No one has ever won a race while sitting in the pits (or something to that effect – hey I do remember something from MOB class!) I tell myself that at least I have a colorful spreadsheet to start with!

Alright, enough with the craziness. Back to midterms.