« Dude, where's my blog? | Main | Ready, Set, Rat Race! »

Learning from friends

Posted by Steve on 20 October 2009

To most people, The Egremont is the name of a quiet local pub in a seaside town in West Sussex, an hour south of London.  This weekend however, the Egremont was the name chosen by my team, competing in the annual Chicago Booth IPO Challenge.

The competition involves receiving a case full of information at 4pm on Saturday and having 24 hours to put together a pitch book and then hopefully be selected for the final by a panel of judges in Chicago. Our team consisted of four mates from my stream and me and as per the rules, only two could have M&A experience.  I can honestly say I have never learnt so much between the hours of 4pm and 2am on a saturday evening, and time has rarely gone so annoyingly quickly.

The competition underscores some real LBS MBA messages, one being that you do as much learning out of the classroom as you do in it....working alongside seasoned professionals who previously worked for top banks and consultancies was one of the best learning experiences I have had.  Another is that if you get involved in things, the MBA is even more fun but there would be uproar if the faculty put on a 24h class, we find the 8.15 starts hard enough.

So, whilst the downside was missing X-Factor, the upsides far far far outweighed it...and we're being flown to Chicago for the final!

http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d834527c6769e20120a658c04c970c

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Learning from friends: