« | Main | MBA TV - Episode fourteen »

Why I chose London Business School – 1/3

Posted by Sanjeev on 12 September 2009

This series of posts is intended to present an unadulterated insight into my decision process in searching for a business school and resolving the paradox of choice I was faced with.

I view my life as a sum of its experiences – part academic, part professional and part social (not necessarily in equal proportions though; that’s something everyone arbitrarily or innately defines for themselves I believe). Thus my choice of business school was largely governed by the impact of 1-2 years of post-grad business education on me across these dimensions.  

Having lived, studied and worked across Asia I was looking to gain an experiential perspective of society and business in a different geography. I embarked on the search for the right business school by preparing a list of 6 – 8 leading schools from North America and Europe. Given that each of these schools had an equally glorious, renowned and global record of business education (based on research, quality of academics and folklore) it was difficult to tell them apart objectively. Generally speaking I would expect these schools to prescribe similar text-books and readings from the same pool of luminaries and have equally distinguished faculty with ingenious methods of instruction to stretch the intellectual faculties of students.  So I whittled the initial list down to 4-5 schools based on diversity of their student population based on academic, professional and geographic backgrounds. To me greater diversity of the student population meant an incredible and rare opportunity to maximize and accelerate my learning of life’s unwritten teachings from the collective experiences of others.

Below are some statistics that illustrate the richness of student and faculty conversations I was looking for in my MBA programme.

Fact: 1,300 students from 121 countries

Fact: 28,000+ alumni across 120 countries

Fact: 59 languages spoken in a single MBA class

Fact: 89% international students in MBA2009

Fact: 140+ faculty from more than 30 countries.

(Source: London Business School MBA Brochure)

I recommend you take a look at the above brochure for more vivid statistics highlighting the unique composition of the MBA class and get a snapshot of the eminent faculty at London Business School.

Hi.I went through your series of posts.I am a MBA aspirant and looking for options among B-schools.
I am concerned with the financial impact of the choice and would appreciate some help regarding how to go about it and the various funding options available.Can you guide me and also tell me about your experience?
Shweta.

Hi Shweta,

These are your options if you are considering London Business School-

1. Scholarships -http://www.london.edu/programmes/mba/scholarships.html

2. Loan - http://www.london.edu/programmes/gettingaloan.html

Check the HSBC loan scheme.

3. Savings - last resort if 1 and 2 don't work out but i would guess most students fall in this category (me included)

Cheers
Sanjeev

http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d834527c6769e20120a566d83e970b

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Why I chose London Business School – 1/3 :