« Q&A with a member of the London Business School Consulting team | Main | First Year - what an amazing journey! »

First thoughts in a new life

Posted by Don on 17 July 2009

A new beginning

Hi all,

As mentioned before – it is a new beginning. Training for my new job in sales and trading has begun – and it does feel odd to again loose the time flexibility. The most important aspect of being a student again was freedom of time – you decide to have a chat, play tennis or chill during the day (and make up for it later on). Now someone else rules my time again. On the other hand it is a great feeling to actually get paid for what I am doing. And to have secured a job for a top company in the area I wanted to get into and in the geographic area I wanted to get to is obviously a fantastic situation. A lot of – very good – classmates are still looking for a job so I cannot complain.

One thing I have noticed now is that money management is very important. It might seem obvious but due to managing my expenses (and getting a job in finance) I managed to come out of the MBA without debt. I tried really hard to limit my expenses (while still ordering good food for cooking, having dinners etc – i.e. still living a life) and this means that I can now concentrate on my new life.

Another thing is that overall the education you get at LBS really is top-notch. Right now I am in training with people from the top US business schools and it is clear that what we learn at LBS easily holds its ground against them. So for example the knowledge we get in a course such as Decision and Risk Analysis does not seem to be the norm in even the no.1 US BS. And if you attended a workshop of the PE club on LBO modeling, rest assured that you are ahead of the curve. No reason for complacency but nice nonetheless.

The one thing that sticks to my mind is that when you leave the MBA you should have the feeling you got the maximum out of it. And that is something very different for everyone – whether it be academically, network, social, leadership or something totally different. You run your own race – do not compare yourself to other people (although we always do that) – only to yourself and the person you used to be. And as long as you get the experience out of the MBA you wanted to get out and you grew, you have been successful.

Take care,

Don

http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d834527c6769e20115711df5c3970c

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference First thoughts in a new life: