« April 2009 | Main | June 2009 »

1YP

Posted by Rebecca on 27 May 2009

This is a very busy time of year.  I know, all the bloggers are starting to sound like a broken record on this subject, but it’s true.  The amount of work and activity seems to increase with each passing semester.  At the moment I’m juggling three upcoming exams, a report for our Managing Organisational Behaviour Audit client, plus all the activity that comes with being an Academic rep and involved with the Media Club.  And then there is the small matter of my 1st Year Project. 

Each year professors post research topics of interest to them as 1YPs.  Students can apply, and if selected, earn an elective credit after successfully completing the paper / case study / analysis.  One of them caught my eye: the Evolution of Organizational Forms and Employment Patterns in the Film Industry (1900-2008).  I applied and was awarded the project. 

This happened back in February.  Since then I have learned several “fun facts”:

• In 1990 over 36,000 scripts were registered with the Writers Guild of America; less than 1% was made into movies.
  • While everyone enjoys playing “Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon” he is not, in fact, the most connected person in Hollywood.  That honour belongs to a porn star.
  • I am the only student who signed up for a 1st year project.

All of these findings are interesting to recite, but somewhat intuitive including the last fact.  I say this because all of my fellow classmates are bright enough to know the basic math for return on investment.  I apparently skipped that Finance lecture and neglected to calculate that an 8,000 word research report on what I will call a niche topic may not be the best use of hours and hours and hours of time. 

So why did I sign up for a 1YP on this particular topic?  That seems to be a popular question.  A number of conversations have followed a similar pattern.

Friend: “want to grab a drink?”
Me: “can’t. I have to write another 5,000 words of my research paper for my 1YP.”
Friend:  “what’s a 1YP? And why would you sign up for more work?”

Or this one –

Me: “can you help me find a book on power networks?”
Librarian: “sure. Is this for a second year project?”
Me: “no, a first year project.”
Librarian: “They’re making you do first year projects now, too?”
Me: “no, I signed up for one.”
Librarian: “wow.  Why?”

One of the things that drew me to the 1YP was the flexibility to work on an elective credit on my own, at my own pace.  Of course, in reality that means waiting until the 11th hour to start researching and writing (if you are one of those people who stick to a disciplined schedule and finish things on time, I’m sorry but we can’t be friends). 

But as I approach the homestretch (1500 more words to go!), I realise that the answer to the question “why?” is because this obscure topic interests me: I want a job in media, and this is what the paper is about after all.  And there is something oddly satisfying about writing a report with a word count in the thousands with a bibliography that goes on for pages.  Sort of like running a marathon (not that I’ve done it) – mildly masochistic but somehow rewarding. 

This fall the faculty will no doubt post another slate of 1YPs, and for any MBA 2011 thinking about applying, feel free to come talk to me.  In the meantime, information sessions are being held for the 2nd Year Project, which are mandatory for graduation.  I think I'll finish this one before thinking about the next one.   

Friday 22 May, Stage 3 admission decisions deadline

Posted by Adcoms on 22 May 2009

If you have submitted an application in Stage 3 for a place on the Full-time MBA programme, you can expect to receive your decision later today (UK time).

Admission decisions will be sent to all applicants by email.

Good luck!

The Admissions Office

Listed!

Posted by Joyce on 08 May 2009

So I know everyone is excited about our MBA being ranked number 1 in the world right now, and it goes without saying that I’m as delighted as ever.

Another recently published ranking—but perhaps not one most business students would find relevant—is Esquire Magazine’s World’s Best Dressed Man. Barack Obama… Roger Federer… wait!  Is that my boss on the list with them?!

Lo and behold, there he was, and I absolutely couldn’t believe it. Ever since I began working with him last fall to launch his fashion line, I have been constantly amazed by his ability to generate publicity and media attention. In fact, there is a BBC documentary to look forward to in a few months—we’ve had camera crews following our progress as a new business. (Hopefully any footage of me stammering on camera won’t make the final cut.

All in all, it’s been exactly the kind of entrepreneurial project I was hoping for. During off-days between classes, I head over to our “office” on the other side of Regent’s Park to delve into the business of fashion. As glossy and preened as finished projects look on magazine pages, the reality is that we huddle around laptops on the kitchen table, hold design councils in the living room and contrary to what certain FedEX commercials will tell you, it isn’t beneath this MBA student to work the mailroom when the situation calls.

I was originally attracted to entrepreneurship because of the task variety. Now, I find myself enjoying it because it is a daily test of the limits of my resourcefulness. Maybe I should have signed up for consulting estimation practice cases—you know, the ones where they ask you to guess how many ping-pong balls it would take to fill Wembley Stadium. The other day, I found myself staring at a storage room full of fabric and having to quickly estimate the value of our inventory. And maybe I should have also spent more time at they gym, because yesterday I let my humble ankle be part of a photoshoot for women’s legwarmers!

Between all the readings, assignments and case studies, it’s easy to slip into a mindset where the cranium dominates. But spreadsheets, formulas, and strategies on paper eventually require someone to DO something about them before they add any value, and at least for me, the entrepreneurial route has helped me connect better with the “doing” aspect.

(As a side pitch, for those of you who enjoy volunteering, The LBS Volunteering Committee organizes many non-cranial events to help you do more doing!)

MBA TV - Episode ten

Posted by Adcoms on 08 May 2009

Episode 10 of MBA TV is here.

Employment opportunities are always high-up the list of an MBA student’s priorities, but in today’s ultra competitive jobs market they assume an even greater importance.

In this episode we speak to Diane Morgan, Director of Career Services, and ask her about the School’s approach to meeting the challenges presented by the current global economic slowdown and how this will benefit students and alumni.

Find out more about our Career Services team here
http://www.london.edu/theschool/careerimpact.html

If you are interested in recruiting from London Business School, find out more here
http://www.london.edu/theschool/recruitourtalent.html

Follow the MBA admissions team on Twitter

Posted by Adcoms on 05 May 2009

For those of you who are on Twitter and want to stay on top of all the latest happenings throughout the admissions year you can follow us at twitter.com/LondonMBA. When we’re not busy meeting applicants from around the globe, reviewing applications or getting ready for this years class we’ll be tweeting about it. 

Don’t forget...

If you have any questions about the MBA or London Business School in general, our friendly information office is always available to help. Contact them by emailing mbainfo@london.edu or by calling +44 (0)20 7000 7500. And if you’re in London, you can drop in and see one of our Admissions Officers on Monday and Friday afternoons.

The MBA Programme Office