« Summer is finally here... | Main | Lord's »

Today, I attended my last class at London Business School.

Posted by Melanie on 18 April 2009

I remember thinking what a drag it might be to end with a course that required 8 cases, lectures till 6pm, homework, mind-expanding questions, business and academic readings, and a Sunday morning exam. But now I'm thrilled to have ended on such a positive and enlightening note, inspired by International Finance professor, Raman Uppal.

I think I finally understand the CAPM model. I learned how to hedge against currency exchange risk and country risk. I plowed through those 8 cases and became closer friends with four other stream B-ers. (I've also put on a couple of kgs snacking on cookies and Bombay mix to keep alert in lecture.) But what I'll remember most is the way Professor Uppal closed each of his lectures with a little snippit of philosophy on life.

In is introduction email to the class, a couple of weeks before we started, he wrote:
"So, I now have two objectives in teaching the course on International Finance. First, I wish to imbed in your head a systematic structure for thinking about all issues related to international financial markets and international corporate finance.
...
My second objective is to help you to think about your life and to help you change it in a direction that you want."

And he left us with a healthy reading list. I picked up "Leaving Microsoft to Change the World," an autobiography by a former Microsoft executive that went on to start Rooms to Read, a dynamic charity that has built thousands of libraries and hundreds of schools for children in developing countries. I was reminded again of my original reasons for coming to do my MBA in the first place.

So with those snippits of wisdom (and a new list of book recommendations), I'll be leaving London Business School with much of what I wanted to achieve, and a positive outlook on the new direction in my life post-MBA. "One step at a time," I have to remind myself when I start getting anxious about those dreams.

Next step? Discovering the ancient secrets of Bukhara and Samarkand...Samarkand

http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d834527c6769e201157028e98a970b

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Today, I attended my last class at London Business School. :