« March 2009 | Main | May 2009 »

Singapore Day 2009 in London

Posted by Pak on 25 April 2009

On 25th April, I went to the Singapore Day held at Hampton Court Palace garden. This is an annual event and was previously held in Melbourne (2008) and New York (2007).

The weather was wonderful and the garden was amazing. What welcomed us at the entrance was the infamous ERP (Electronic Road Pricing) gantry. Currently there are about over 60 gantries in Singapore and the number is increasing. These gantries can be found at the Central Business District, highways and other areas that are prone to traffic congestion.

There were many food stalls in the compound and they provided various famous "hawker food" in Singapore. For example, Laksa, Chicken Rice, Chili Crab, Hokkien Mee, Satay and many others. The queues were long (up to an hour for certain popular food). Yet many people (Singaporeans, non-Singaporeans) seem did not mind at all about that.

There were Singapore's artists performing on the stage while people enjoying the sun and the beautiful garden. Singapore companies, government departments and Standard Chartered Bank had also information booths for people who have interests in Singapore opportunities.

Overall the event was really cool, especially for Singaporeans or people who have stayed there before in London. Just imagine hearing everyone speaks "Singlish" around you in UK.

MBA TV - Episode nine

Posted by Adcoms on 24 April 2009

Episode nine of MBA TV is here! The Marketing Club is one of the largest and most active professional clubs at London Business School. For students interested in marketing, product development, strategy and advertising, the club offers master classes, interview and case preparation workshops, speaker and networking events and the annual Marketing conference.

In this episode we attend ‘Meet the Marketers’, an event based on the concept of speed dating, giving students valuable face-to-face time with marketers from some of the biggest and best-known companies in the world. We speak to representatives from Cadbury, General Mills and Coca Cola, and catch up with the Marketing Club and current students.

India Business Forum Conference

Posted by Krish on 19 April 2009

Every year, the India Business Forum at London Business School organises a fantastic conference. This year's event is scheduled for the coming Thursday (23rd of April). Keynotes and panelists from India and London Business School will explore and debate the theme: "Innovative India: Creating Value and Opportunities".

I'm especially looking forward to this year's conference as it coincides with the Indian General Elections. I'm hoping to get the chance to pick the brains of some of India's biggest leaders -- both from government and the private sector.

If you're reading this blog as a prospective student, this conference will give you a good glimpse of the kind of opportunities London Business School offers.

I'd highly recommend attending. Tickets can be bought here.

Lord's

Posted by Krish on 19 April 2009

It never fails to happen. Every single time I walk on St.John's Wood Road, be it the middle of the night or in the morning, I feel goosebumps. Even though I've spent the last decade living outside India, Cricket holds a special place in my heart. I was too young to remember live images of Kapil Dev lifting the World Cup from the pavilion balcony in Lord's, but the video is etched in memory of most Indian cricket fans. That win, as heavy underdogs against the much favored West Indian team going for a three-peat, catapulted Indian cricket and laid the foundation for the subcontinent becoming the emotional home of the sport.

One of the special privileges of being a student at London Business School, is access to the facilities at Lord's. As a member of the Squash club, I get to walk into the Lord's complex and play, not 30 yards away from the members pavilion. Of course, the "idiosyncrasy" of English tradition apply here as well -- one has to only be dressed in whites :-) I for one find quite like it and find it very nice actually, especially coming here from the United States, where as long as you had clothes on you were good to go -- for most things.

I hope St.John's Wood Road never stops to make me feel the way I do. It is certainly one of those really small things that make living and studying in this part of the world so wonderful.

Today, I attended my last class at London Business School.

Posted by Melanie on 18 April 2009

I remember thinking what a drag it might be to end with a course that required 8 cases, lectures till 6pm, homework, mind-expanding questions, business and academic readings, and a Sunday morning exam. But now I'm thrilled to have ended on such a positive and enlightening note, inspired by International Finance professor, Raman Uppal.

I think I finally understand the CAPM model. I learned how to hedge against currency exchange risk and country risk. I plowed through those 8 cases and became closer friends with four other stream B-ers. (I've also put on a couple of kgs snacking on cookies and Bombay mix to keep alert in lecture.) But what I'll remember most is the way Professor Uppal closed each of his lectures with a little snippit of philosophy on life.

In is introduction email to the class, a couple of weeks before we started, he wrote:
"So, I now have two objectives in teaching the course on International Finance. First, I wish to imbed in your head a systematic structure for thinking about all issues related to international financial markets and international corporate finance.
...
My second objective is to help you to think about your life and to help you change it in a direction that you want."

And he left us with a healthy reading list. I picked up "Leaving Microsoft to Change the World," an autobiography by a former Microsoft executive that went on to start Rooms to Read, a dynamic charity that has built thousands of libraries and hundreds of schools for children in developing countries. I was reminded again of my original reasons for coming to do my MBA in the first place.

So with those snippits of wisdom (and a new list of book recommendations), I'll be leaving London Business School with much of what I wanted to achieve, and a positive outlook on the new direction in my life post-MBA. "One step at a time," I have to remind myself when I start getting anxious about those dreams.

Next step? Discovering the ancient secrets of Bukhara and Samarkand...Samarkand

Summer is finally here...

Posted by Pak on 15 April 2009

Summer is finally near the corner!

A tour to Scotland Edinburgh and Highland during the Spring break was amazing. Surprisingly the weather there was better than London (no rain, all sun)!

Finding a summer internship proves to be very challenging this year. I am glad that I will be joining 7 other fellow colleagues from MBA2010 in the School's Summer Consulting Team. However, it means that we need to start preparation work now, such as preparing marketing material, looking for clients and etc. Challenging but interesting.

As part of the Consulting Club Executive Committee, I have been working with fellow committee members on new initiatives for the coming year. We expect to see a surge in demand of services provided by the Consulting Club, such as the case practices and consulting interviews. This is partly due to the fact that we are expecting a new stream from MBA2011 and students from the MiM programme. In addition, there will be other exciting new developments that I shall share here in near future.

Hungry Hungry Hippos

Posted by Rebecca on 14 April 2009

Business school is really a series of very difficult choices.  It starts when you must decide which school(s) to apply to, and carries on as you accept an offer of admission, select clubs to join, choose your electives, decide whether to go on exchange and ultimately pick a career path.  Some decisions are easy, while others will truly test your character.  One of the most difficult decisions you will make is determining what to do for Spring Break. 

Yes, the life of a MBA student is tough.  I spent many sleepless nights agonizing over the choices. (Actually, that’s a lie.  I may have forfeited a nap here or there, but that’s about it.)  It boiled down to three options:

1. Thailand Sailing Trip*: 30 students, 3 boats, 7 days on the open water. 
2. Japan Trip*: 30 students take on all you can eat sushi and sake in Tokyo and Kyoto.
3. Africa Trip: 30 students + lions + hippos + cheap beer = amazing adventure. 

Ultimately I chose the Africa trip because I have always wanted to visit the continent and figured it is unlikely that work will one day take me there.  The trip was organised by two fellow MBA students, Vata and Gil, who did a phenomenal job both in planning the itinerary and herding 32 unruly students across five countries in 13 days.  Our itinerary was action packed: Sun City, South Africa; Gabarone, Botswana; Kasane, Botswana; briefly to Namibia; across the river to Zambia and Zimbabwe to see Victoria Falls; and finally to Cape Town, South Africa. 

What was the best part of the trip?  Two weeks later and I’m still thinking about it.  Africa was truly a trip of a life time, but it was also full of extremes:

• Visiting the DeBeers diamond operation in Botswana
  • Spending time playing with kids at an orphanage in Gabarone
  • Going on safari and seeing so many elephants and hippos that we stopped taking pictures of them**
  • Seeing Victoria Falls at the highest water levels in the past 25 years
  • Buying a 100 Trillion Zimbabwean note for £1
  • Eating some of the best seafood I have ever tasted in Cape Town
  • Standing at the Cape of Good Hope, the furthest point south on the continent

But after reviewing the 600 pictures I took, the most memorable shots are the ones of us bonding as a group: piling into very small and potentially unsafe minibuses. Us looking very sceptical about crossing into Zambia on a speed boat amid piles of luggage.  Or when we challenged a group of Booth MBA students also visiting Botswana to a beer boat race (we won, obviously).  Making pirate hats while on a sunset boat cruise near Victoria Falls.  32 students and partners shared this adventure together, and that’s what made it such a great trip.  It would have been a totally different experience and not nearly rewarding had I done the exact same itinerary by myself.

*I hope that fellow bloggers on the Japan and Thailand trips post an account of their Spring Break – from what I’ve heard, they had excellent yet completely different adventures. 

**A word of caution: baboons are dangerous.  They will beat you up and steal your lunch if you’re not careful.  Take it from us.

Watch, engage and debate on new business channel

Posted by Adcoms on 14 April 2009

London Business School, Google and Telegraph.co.uk have formed a partnership to provide unique bite-sized insights from some of the UK’s leading organisations via a new YouTube channel called Survival of The Fastest.

Survival of The Fastest has been designed as an online thought leadership community for business leaders, offering credible insights into management areas ranging from finance and marketing to e-Commerce.

As the academic partner, London Business School has made available a number of its world-class faculty who have each provided concise video contributions discussing different ways of ‘speeding up’ in the slowdown. For example;

• How can medium to large businesses remain nimble and maintain competitive advantage in a downturn?
• Should marketers focus on gaining share in today’s climate?
• What is the value of online strategy?

Visit the Survival of the Fastest community at http://youtube.com/survivalofthefastest

MBA TV - Episode eight

Posted by Adcoms on 09 April 2009

Episode eight of MBA TV is here!  The mission of the Women in Business Club is to encourage and enable more women to achieve their individual desired successes - whether they are at the helm of a multinational company, running their own business, or in any position that provides them great satisfaction and a meaningful work-life balance.

The London Business School Women in Business Conference is widely recognised as the leading women's conference in Europe, profiling influential women leaders from the likes of Shell, Goldman Sachs and Santander. The conference, Beyond Ideas: Making Global Impact highlights the impact women are making in local and global marketplaces and how they are making it. This episode includes interviews with Merlyn Lowther, Non-Executive Director, Schroders Plc, Christine Raynaud, CEO, Hudson Europe, Eva Gustavsson, President, Women in Business club and current MBA students.