« Questions... | Main | The Medium is the Message »

Fostering Creativity!

Posted by Vipul on 12 February 2009

Ding Ding Ding! No, there’s no ice-cream truck driving up Sussex Place. It’s the sweet sound of … internship rejections. Surprised? I am too. First, I was surprised that so many companies rejected me. Later, I was even more surprised at myself for not feeling too bad about it. I was (and still am) targeting consulting firms for the Summer. But all these rejections mean that, if I don’t get a consulting internship, I can experiment with starting out on my own. There will be no guilt for not trying to land a secure job and there will be no opportunity cost!

London Business School is just great at inspiring creativity. The first year core subject, Discovering Entrepreneurial Opportunities (DEO), has really got me excited about trying new and daring ventures. Yesterday the deputy chairman of Saatchi & Saatchi, Richard Hytner, spoke to our class about creativity. We did a number of exercises that forced us to challenge the norms. He introduced us to some fantastic tools for fostering creativity in our study groups. I particularly liked De Bono’s Hats. I left the class feeling very excited, despite having received two internship rejection emails during the class. I was excited about totally wild ideas: “back packs with beer warmers (yes, this is England)”, “flying without airports” – to name a few. It was really cool to see how creative a bunch of accountants, bankers, doctors and consultants can be.

How will I keep the creative juices flowing? Definitely get my study group to do the Hat analysis of our DEO Trade Show ideas. Get the innovation club to hold wild-idea brainstorming sessions (they can be hilarious and can generate some awesome actionable ideas). Keep attending highly inspirational classes like DEO and Managing Organizational Behaviour (MOB). And, if I can find a good idea, start a company over the summer.

Now off to bed, to rest before my big consulting interview :)

http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d834527c6769e201053723b22a970b

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Fostering Creativity!: