« Re-emerging in to Society | Main | Pre-MBA socialising »

PB & J Meets Its Match

Posted by Rebecca on 04 September 2008

British cuisine gets a lot of flack.  In fact, Jamie Oliver was recently quoted saying “I'm going to be harsh, but I think a lot of English people's food lacks heart. It's bland.”  Apparently he hasn’t been sampling the sandwiches, which are an important staple in every student’s diet. Particularly in London where you might pay a small fortune at a fancy restaurant (i.e., Quizno’s). 

Admittedly I’ve never been a big fan of sandwiches.  As a child I refused to touch the “Big 3”: tuna, peanut butter (in any combination) or egg salad, which left my mother with very few options to pack me for lunch.  She sometimes resorted to sending me Cheeze-Whiz on brown, that famous condiment that would remain shelf-stable even in a nuclear war. Since then sandwiches have been my lunch choice of last resort. 

If only my mother had paid a visit to a local London sandwich shop.  The “Big 3” barely make an appearance amid the fantastic combinations and permutations of ingredients.  The most unbelievable things make their way between two slices of bread.  A sample of sandwiches available today at The Bite, London Business School’s café:

·         Cheddar & Cream Cheese with Celery

·         Roast Salmon & Hollandaise

·         Prawn Mayonnaise

·         Spicy Falafel & Houmous

·         Double Egg & Cress

·         Coronation Chicken (an unnatural shade of yellow, in my opinion)

Not to be outdone, the wraps also make a strong showing:

·         North Atlantic Prawn & Wasabi

·         Duck & Hoisin

·         Falafel & Tabouleh

It’s as though Willy Wonka got tired of Gobstoppers and decided to take a crack at lunch. Yesterday I had a sandwich called the Bugsy – carrot, houmous, rocket (don’t feel bad - I didn’t know what that was, either) and alfalfa sprouts, the day before it was feta, pine nuts and roasted red peppers.   Nuts in a sandwich? What next?!? A classmate approached me today as I stood in front of the shelves.  “What are you doing?” he asked.  “Trying to decide what to have for lunch.” I replied, jingling coins in my hand. “That’s easy,” he said. “A pint.”

http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d834527c6769e200e554dff0578833

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference PB & J Meets Its Match: