« June 2007 | Main | August 2007 »

Rewarding experience at BP Solar this summer

Posted by Martha on 27 July 2007

Today is the end of my seventh week at BP Solar. My experience was rewarding and worth it.

I was recruited, together with three other London Business School colleagues, to become a Helios Summer Intern. BP's Global MBA Program aims to recruit experienced professionals with an interest in a long-term career at BP and with the potential to become the future top leaders of the organization. My experience has been good for the following reasons:

I have met great people. Brooks Preston, the Global Business Development Manager for BP Solar, who was a great coach. Helios fellows like Carlos Reyes who already work full-time at BP and gave me great insight into the group and career as a whole. And, intense personalities like Deb Grubbe, Vice-president of Safety at BP, to whom I was really pleased to talk specially due to my passion for Safety.

I have learned a lot about the business, BP and myself. I developed self-awareness at a steep rate. My mind was more mature, or at least more ready. A safe environment and transparent communication with Brooks contributed too.

Finally, my project was particularly challenging in different ways and very material. I am pleased with the results and proud of what we accomplished. I am so glad I came to BP this summer.

Next week is the final week of my internship. On Thursday, twelve of us will present our achievements in front of a panel. We will have both technical and competencies-based interviews. I will do my best; wish me luck.

London Business School Sailing Team Victorious Again!

Posted by Martha on 27 July 2007

Londonbusinessschool_crew_victory_c Londonbusinessschool_spinnaker Our sailors have scored another big victory!  This past weekend in Portsmouth, London Business School took the grand prize at the International Business Schools Regatta (IBSR), hosted by Cranfield School of Management. Racing over two very intense days in a fleet of 21 yachts, the student team scored a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 1st place, in the four races.  The competition was stiff and despite a strong performance on the opening day, any one of the top four yachts could have won the regatta by winning the final race.  Especially close was the London Business School Alumni crew, who pipped Durham and Smurfit (Dublin) for 2nd place overall! This is the first time that London Business School has won the IBSR.

Hot on the heels of a student crew victory in the Athens Global MBA trophy in April, the IBSR prize firmly places London Business School as a favourite to deliver an unprecedented treble this year. In September business schools will once again race at the SDA Bocconi MBA Cup in Portofino, the final major trophy of the year. We expect to once again see the London Business School spinnaker flying proudly at the front of the fleet!

Congratulations to the student crew: Bruce Clibborn (skipper), Lottos Gutierrez, Edouard Jozan, Cristi Micu, Jose Moreno & Lucia Lopez-Rua, Richelle Twomey and Diego Echave (MBA 2009). 

Congratulations also to the alumni crew: Klaus Rasmussen (skipper), Mark Buckle, Rob Cotterill, Syn-Yee Ooi, Matteo Pozzi, David Salzman, Roland Schotte and Michele Trusolino.

See attached pictures of the student crew celebrating their victory, and click here for more pictures of the event:
http://picasaweb.google.es/josete

Edouard Jozan and Brendon Moss on behalf of the Sailing Club at London Business School

Chat online with Manish and David Simpson, Associate Dean, MBA Programme

Posted by Adcoms on 24 July 2007

Chat online with David Simpson, Associate Dean, MBA Programme, and Manish Gajria, MBA2008 and MBA blogger, on Wednesday 25 July, noon (New York), 17.00 (London), 21.30 (Mumbai).

Join this BusinessWeek.com hosted live event and put your questions to Manish and David about everything from campus culture and living in London, to admissions requirements and the essays that make the Admission’s Committee stand up and take note.

For full details on how to take part visit the BusinessWeek.com website.
The event starts at 17.00 London time.

View the transcripts from previous events.

MBA2010 Essay Questions

Posted by Adcoms on 23 July 2007

The application essay questions for admission to the next Full-time MBA class (MBA2010) beginning in August 2008 have now been confirmed and remain unchanged from those required last year.

Question 1 (500 words)
In what role do you see yourself working immediately after graduation?  Why?  How will your past and present experiences help you achieve this?  How will the London Business School MBA Programme contribute to this goal? 

Question 2 (200 words)
Where do you see your career progressing five years after graduation and what is your longer term career vision?

Question 3 (500 words)
Please describe your experience of working in and leading teams, either in your professional or personal life.  Given this experience, what role do you think you will play in your study group, and how do you intend to contribute to it?

Question 4 (400 words)
Student involvement is an extremely important part of the London MBA experience and this is reflected in the character of students on campus. What type of student club or campus community event do you envisage yourself leading? How would you set about becoming involved in a leadership position and how would you align and communicate the goals and vision for the club to the wider School community?

Question 5 (150 words)
Describe any significant experiences outside of your home country. What did you gain from these?

Question 6 (300 words) (This question is optional)
Is there any other information that you believe would help the MBA Admissions Committee when considering your application?

The online application form will be made live at the beginning of September, but for those of you that wish to make a start on the essays, the template document can be downloaded here. Download essay_template_mba2010 (Word doc).

The application deadline dates are currently under review but as a useful guide you can view the dates from last year at http://www.london.edu/mba/admissions.html

An evening with Benjamin Zander

Posted by Martha on 06 July 2007

Three London Business School students organised an evening with Benjamin Zander. He is full of life.

Benjamin empowered us to opt for possibility rather than resignation or anger. He suggested ways to generate "out of the box" ideas by pondering "what assumptions am I making that I don't know that I am making?".

He then told us the secret of life: it is all invented. "Who am I being that that person's eyes are not shining?". Then he explained Rule # 6: "Don't take yourself so damn seriously".

Finally, we all sang "Ode to Joy" in German. Unbelievable. He fortunately empowered us not to fear mistakes but believe them fascinating.

He played the piano, I remembered how much I enjoy classical music, he fined tuned a musician's cello style and I realised "possibility is only one sentence away".

It was a great evening. Join him if you have the opportunity. Benjamin, by the way, was just a guest speaker to the Creativity and Personal Mastery class at school.