« March 2007 | Main | May 2007 »

Congratulations to our "Best of Bloggers"!

Posted by Adcoms on 27 April 2007

Congratulations go out to London Business School student bloggers Angel Angie, Divine Miss N and Karlitos, and MBA2009 Admit RusGirl who all featured in the recent Clear Admit Best of Blogs Awards.

Bob07

To quote the organisers: “the aim of this event is to recognize those bloggers who have made an appreciable contribution to the online community, and to identify valuable sources of information and advice for incoming students and the next round of applicants.” To arrive at the final awards, the blogs were judged by a combination of industry professionals and the nominated bloggers themselves.

The overall prize went to Angel Angie, who also picked up specific awards for “Best Resource for Applicants” and “Best Job/Internship Advice”.

The Divine Miss N (otherwise known as our very own Natasja) came a very creditable second (especially since she has been moonlighting on our blog).

Well done to all of the bloggers out there. Keep it up!

Marthita Marathon

Posted by Martha on 27 April 2007

Difficult to believe but I made it to the finish line after 5 hours. This was my first marathon, which filled me with great excitement on the day. However, my smile only lasted about 20 miles, after which, it was really difficult to keep going. The running club and Steve -blogger-, did a great job getting me ready for the day. Other than my foot injury, it all went as planned. I am thankful to those who supported me on-line and in practice. It was a fantastic experience; I already want to do it again.

Pictures: 17 hrs before the start of the race, I went to pick my number and bought a couple of souvenirs. Minutes before the race, drinking, thoughtful. And, after...

April082

Londres_2_070_2

April047_3

Londres_2_095_2

Final application deadline - 27 April

Posted by Adcoms on 25 April 2007

A quick note to remind those people still considering applying for the autumn 2007 intake, that the final application deadline (Stage 4) is Friday 27 April at 17.00 (London time).  If you are planning to submit in Stage 4, our advice is not to leave it right up until the last minute to submit your application.  In the hour or so before the deadline the server is EXTREMELY busy!

Although this has been another extremely competitive year in terms of the number of applications received, there are still places available in Stage 4. In order to maintain our unique international and professional diversity, a number of places are reserved for our final stage. 

Stage 4 candidates will receive notification of whether they have been selected for interview via email on 18 May 2007, and Stage 4 interviewed candidates will receive their final admission decision on 22 June.

Confirmation of receipt of documents

Upon submission of your online application you will receive official confirmation via email. Please don’t contact the Programme Office asking for confirmation of receipt of GMAT, references or transcripts. Due to the large volumes of mail that we receive during this period we cannot offer this confirmation. We advise candidates to check with their courier company as to whether the documents have been delivered.

Marathon Mishap

Posted by Stephen on 24 April 2007

Last Sunday was London Marathon day. I set off on the familiar route to the start line at Greenwich and I thought I was set for a good finish time. The training had been injury free and smoother than any previous year I have competed.

Then the ultra reliable London Transport system failed and I was stuck 3 miles from the start line. The only alternative rail route would have guaranteed getting to the start late. So, together with hunders of other runners, I walked the last few miles in a desperate bid to get to the start. Unfortunately, by the time I arrived at the start area the place was a ghost town. Still cursing the docklands railway I started the marathon.

I spent the next 2 hours weaving between people dressed in Rhino suits or as Rupert the Bear in a deperate bid to get ahead. It got me nowhere. I did 5 miles at 12 minute mile pace. This was very frustrating and by now I was cursing the DLR and the London Marathon organisers. Eventually, I resigned myself to the fact that I wasn't going to break away from the crowds and tried to enjoy the festivities that surround the marathon. The support from the crowds was phenomenal. I finished eventually in 3.56.

I was cheered on Monday by being accepted on the international exchange programme. I managed to secure a place at Berkeley HAAS for one semester next year. Since the start of the MBA, I have realised that my lack of international experience really stands out amongst my peers. This made me quite concerned when my first round exchange application was rejected. Berkeley was not my original first choice, however I have a growing interest in entrepreneurship and getting Berkeley must be fate giving me some kind of sign. I'm definitely looking forward to spring in California. 

Help with Accomodation

Posted by Manish on 22 April 2007

Ever since I settled into my wee little flat on Abbey Road last year (after a tough long distance search for a flat and a week long search after arriving), I have been hoping to help out the incoming class with searching for their own flat. You will soon hear about a flatcrawl where people get together to find roommates and see tons of posts from fellow admits looking for flats/flatmates. However, it is still pretty depressing sitting in another country trying to find a flat in London before you arrive.

Bias Alert: I only have information about some areas around the school. Many students live away from school and commute on the tube.

Tip: Don't break your head over it until you arrive. You will find a flat after you arrive. Calling agents and clicking through websites (listed below anyways) are futile because agents need to show you flats. "Viewing" as it is called here is important. It really is. You must see a flat before you sign up for it because it is really hard to tell how a flat is from a few pictures.

The picture is an attempt to mark out walking distances and a few popular building/blocks where students currently live.

Lbs_student_flats St Johns wood is a popular post code. It is an expensive area but it is really pretty and safe. You will mostly be within a 20 minute walk to the school from here. Rents in the area are typically upwards of 200 for a studio and around 275-300 for a one bed. They can be much higher for better blocks.

Many students prefer living right across from the school in Ivor court, Rossmore court. These buildings are so close to school you can even catch the wireless network signal from school. Hanover gate masions is another popular block and is a 1 minute walk from school. There is a large number of students that choose to live towards Baker street station/Marylebone street which are both 5-10 minutes away from school.

The following is a list of agents that are located around school. Some of these agents waive the agent fees for students (you need a school letter for this). Rents can be negotiated upto 10% downwards. However your bargaining power diminishes as you get closer to the start of the term and flats are almost all gone.

JAC strattons - www.jacstrattons.com

Oakleys - www.oakleys.co.uk

Sandfords - www.sandfords.co.uk

KnightFrank - www.knightfrank.co.uk

Foxtons - www.foxtons.co.uk

BrianLack&Co - www.brianlack.co.uk

Benham Reeves - www.brlets.co.uk

General property search websites: www.findaproperty.co.uk, www.gumtree.com, www.loot.co.uk

Hope this helps cool your anxiety a bit.

End of Spring, Beginning of Summer

Posted by Martha on 16 April 2007

Last term went too quickly. Summer job search was exciting, time-consuming, tough but fun.

After a couple of tests, we celebrated the end of last term with Salsa and Sangria, an annual event organized by the Spanish and Latin American clubs. We listened to some "flamenco", "Los Hombres G" and salsa, of course. We had a great time!

The break was quick and short too. Time just flies. Some people went to Japan, others to South Africa; I travelled across The Netherlands and Belgium. Bruges was awesome.

We just came back last week. Seven courses this term seems to put me under lots of pressure but I am, once again, excited by the experience. My electives are Finance 2, Strategy 2 and Mandarin - my favourite subject. We will see how it goes!

Last of all, the marathon is next Sunday. I hope my "injured" foot does not let me down.

April_07_belgium_255 Apr_07_londres025_copy

Mar_07_salsa_y_sangria_27_2 Mar_07_salsa_y_sangria_18 Lbs_running_team_mar_07

School launches podcast series

Posted by Adcoms on 16 April 2007

The first in a series of London Business School podcasts featuring members of faculty is now online. In the podcasts, members of faculty introduce themselves with a general interview on their biography and their research interests and publications.

In the first podcast Craig Smith, Senior Fellow in Marketing and Ethics, discusses ethical consumerism - are consumers influenced by ethical concerns? What drives corporate social responsibility and are there limits to how far companies can go with it?

The second in the series of features Richard Portes, Professor of Economics. Prof.Portes talks about London's importance as global connection capital, as a centre for coordinating a wide area of research and, in fact, as a centre for making connections that are useful for both students and employers.

Listen to the podcasts here

A summer term for this summer weather...

Posted by Sean on 16 April 2007

We arrived back from Spring Break last week and were met with an onslaught of new courses. Because we did not have class on Easter Monday, the class schedule was shifted back a day and left some of us in class all day Saturday! Luckily, that wasn’t me as the weather in London over the past 10 days has been unbelievable, and sitting in class across from Regent’s Park over the weekend would have been torturous. This term gave first year students a pick of many electives, whereas the second term had only offered a few. With many of us eager to take on some specialised courses, I worry that some may have taken on a bit too much. I am certainly feeling the strain even though I have only signed up for 1.5 electives. This term continues with the hands-on nature of the second term. While our marketing and organisational behaviour lectures have officially ended, we are still working hard to complete these courses. My study group is helping to restructure the marketing department for a leading global footwear company in response to a strategy change for our MOB project. Right now, we are on the client site about 5 hours a week for interviews and meetings, before delivering our final recommendation in a few weeks. Our marketing course has continued into this term through a marketing simulation game called MarkStrat. Our study group has started the simulation with a company that is leading the industry. This sounds great but it also means that we can only lose this top spot to our competitors. This term has an operations theme to it with the core courses of Operations & Technology Management, and Managerial Accounting & Control. One course to help us design/optimise processes, and the other to measure the financial results of the production. For our operations course, all streams will be headed on a field trip to manufacturing plants throughout Europe. My stream is going to visit Porsche and BMW in Germany, another stream is going to Ducati in Italy, and another is headed to Amsterdam (tulips I think). In another core course we are learning about global macroeconomic trends to help us position our future firms optimally in the global business environment. That’s it from me for the boring blog about academics, over to the others for the marathon and MBAT!

Sailing the Caribbean

Posted by Stephen on 09 April 2007

Dsc_0025 We have just returned from the spring break sailing trip to the Caribbean. We spent the last 10 days sailing around the Windward Islands. The conditions were great for sailing, although the first couple of days felt more like the Solent rather than the Caribbean. With 30 knot winds and a 9ft swell the sailing was good fun but bad for sea sickness.

Dsc_0017After starting the trip in St Lucia, we spent the first night in Wallilabou, St Vincent. This small cove was where Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed. The set from the film is still on the beach. After an uncomfortable night moored next to rocks and being buffeted by big waves we left for Admiralty Bay, Bequia. This was an interesting port with a few more shops and facilities than our first stop. There was even a cruise ship in the harbour.

The next day we travelled to Canouan island. The journey between the islands was quite rough and the harbour proved less than sheltered. One of our dinghys was flipped upside down twice whilst trying to get to the hotel on shore.

By this point we were quite tired from bad weather and lack of sleep. Luckily the next Dsc_0051day the weather improved as we headed for Union Island. At the half way point we found a deserted beach and dropped anchor for some lunch and snorkelling. We arrived in Union just before sunset and moored on a jetty. That night we joined the Easter celebrations in some local bars. Unfortunately, one of the other boats had engine problems and had to stay on Canuoan for an extra night.

Dsc_0183The next day we made the short trip to Tobago Keys. This is a group of reefs and small islands close to Union island. We anchored in the middle of the keys and spent the day snorkelling and sunbathing. That night we went ashore to a deserted island and had a fancy dress beach party. We hired a local guy called 'Mr Fantastic' to barbeque fresh lobster for the whole group and my boat made lots of rum punch.

Dsc_0004The next day we started to head north back towards St Lucia. We stopped at Mustique for lunch and made it as far as Blue Lagoon, St Vincent by nightfall. The next night was spent in another small cover on the West coast of St Vincent called Cumberland Bay. We had no food on the boat so we bought fresh fish from Jo the Fisherman and barbequed them off the back of the boat. As the holiday was close to the end we tried to finish all the drink supplies by playing drinking games until the early hours.

The next day we sailed to Marigold Bay, St Lucia. Most of the group decided to spend the last night in the Discovery hotel in the bay. This was a very pleasant change after being on the boat for so long.

Thanks to Bruce and Brendon for organising a great trip. Back to school tomorrow.
Dsc_0032 Dsc_0043 Dsc_0179 Dsc_0103