« Holidays | Main | My first 2007 day in London »

Happy New Year!!

Posted by Stephen on 04 January 2007

It has been an interesting break but its now time to get back to work. What better way to start the year than by making your debut on national TV? I recently watched a report on Channel 4 News that talked about students overpaying to the Student Loan Company. This issue affects a large number of undergraduate students (not MBAs) in the UK. I have had major problems myself with SLC, overpaying my loan by around £5,000.

I sent the reporter an email explaining that his report had not hit the main issue, which is the lack of communication between the Inland Revenue and the SLC. Next thing I know I am in the green room at the Channel 4 news studio having my make-up applied and being introduced to the presenters! Later, I was taken into the news studio for a sound check and recording. Luckily, they decided not to do the interview Live as they had first planned.

I have sent this kind of email before but I have a feeling that my London Business School email address added credibility. The reporter mentioned it a few times.

If you are interested, the report can be viewed online by clicking on the 'Watch the interviews' link on this page - http://www.channel4.com/news/special-reports/special-reports-storypage.jsp?id=4277#start

Next week we have 5 days of company presentations and informal drinks sessions with all the major banks and consultancies. After that we have a period of interviews for the summer internships. I think the milkround period is going to be a stressful time. Not only are you looking for the 'right' job but you are also blatantly competing against your friends for those jobs. I guess if it all goes wrong I can always focus on my TV career.

Good work Stephen! Make sure you get your money back with interest! I'm off to check my payslips.....

Graeme