« Mandarin and Strategy | Main | Andrew's Birthday »

Internship search begins

Posted by Sean on 15 November 2006

They weren’t kidding about the first term! I am barely keeping my head above water. To complicate things further, I am also starting my first applications for internships. Luckily, our career centre has been excellent, and are making the process much easier for me.

In terms of career objectives, this past three months has been an incredible learning experience for me. Last year I wanted to be a consultant, at the start of the year a banker, and through a lot of coaching, reflecting, and learning, I have decided that I want to be a Brand Manager for a consumer goods company. Wow, all over the place, right? Actually, that is one of the great things about doing an MBA – options. At first, the range of options is overwhelming and you start seeing yourself in any job function, latching instantly onto whatever piques your interest. That is exactly what I did. But despite a slight variation in focus, I have come full-circle back to why I came to business school in the first place – to direct my career towards General Management. Yes, at first I thought I would become a consultant in the short term and now want to go directly into industry, but substantially, I am back to the same path I have always wanted.

Luckily, there has been plenty of opportunity for reflection, career education, and support. We had GLAM, personal career coaching sessions, speaker panels about every possible career, and professional clubs and peers to round it all out. But now that I know what I want to do, it’s time for me to get an internship. This week, I am putting together my first application, and from there will be sending CVs to a bunch of target companies. Additionally, many companies will be coming onto campus starting in January. First it will be the banks and consultancies in the ‘Milk Round’ and then the industry companies in February (Industry Month). Stay tuned…

Have you ever considered going into online marketing and branding? I graduated from business school about 2 years ago and got involved in Search Engine Optimization and now finding myself telling these brand managers, marketing managers, V.P's of Marketing what they need to do to increase profits. It's pretty empowering and you learn so much as far as how to actually make a difference in the bottom line. Anyways, That's my 2 cents.

Thanks,
Brad Henry

I think huge job opportunities are one of the reasons behind taking admission in MBA. In addition to this job options are multiple and flexible unlike in other career programs. That’s why MBA is popular among students.

Hi Sean,
You have given us helpful career tips to move ahead with an objective in the desired field. Thanks a lot for your useful insight.

Yes, you have taken a good decision for your career developments. If you are doing MBA, then you will definitely get enough job opportunities in this field. Whatever you have learnt and whatever experience you have gained during your internship program will helpful for you in building your career. The important career tips you have given here will helpful for others to choose their career objective.

http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d834527c6769e200d834c8178353ef

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Internship search begins: