« June 2006 | Main | August 2006 »

And now for something different

Posted by Adcoms on 26 July 2006

One of the unique features of the London Business School MBA is the Shadowing Project, and the Shadowing Project that is being undertaken by Nick Wai, MBA2007, is certainly unique!

Right now as we speak/write, Nick is crossing the Atacama Desert in Chile whilst shadowing Mary Gadams, London Business School alumna and founder and CEO of RacingThePlanet.  Nick has somehow managed to juggle his summer internship position at Reuters in London, with his week-long expedition on the Atacama Crossing, a seven-day, 250-kilometer footrace across the driest place on Earth AND write a diary for the FT.com! 

Atacama

As Nick states in his diary “One of the features of the programme is the shadowing project, where each of us has to shadow a leader of our own choosing for a week to learn more about leadership in action first hand”.

Wanting to try something a little different with this project, Nick searched through the alumni directory and came across Mary and her company - RacingThePlanet - in the Hong Kong alumni chapter.  Following a brief correspondence, Mary invited Nick to follow one of the races, and the rest is history.

Follow Nick’s daily diary with his introduction, Day 1, and photo gallery.

I’m not sure about racing across a desert, but the Pisco Sours sound great!

All is quiet..for now

Posted by Adcoms on 21 July 2006

Campus is very quiet at the minute. Over 800 degree programme students (including 304 members of MBA 2006) graduated at the beginning of the month, and the majority of MBA 2007s are in the midst of their summer internships. The tranquility of campus won't last for long however, as the new class of MBA 2008 will begin to arrive through August.

As the summer is a bit slow in terms of news from around campus, we thought we would highlight some of what our MBA 2007 bloggers are doing now.

Summerbreakroadsign

The summer break normally sees the MBAs head back into the workforce for a 8-12 week internship. Natasja's patient search for the right job appears to be paying dividends, meanwhile, RSR.pt is more than happy to be getting paid for something he would be doing in his spare time anyway.

KV has managed to change both industry and job function to get his internship with an American investment bank in London, and the Divine Miss N is enjoying her work on the strategic side of a marketing consultancy, and certainly appreciates the relaxed dress code.

Out in India, Al Martine has been writing about his first week settling in at Infosys, and the some of the more interesting taxi journeys that he has experienced in Bangalore!

Closer to home and not following the usual internship path, Gaurav has been blogging about the first few days of the Summer Consulting Team, not to mention the cricket at Lord’s.

Last but not least and staying in the field of consulting, FutureGuru provides us with a day-in the-life guide to consulting. Sounds easy ;-)

That’s just a few examples of what some of the class are doing during their summer break. To get a whole host of stats on where people go and what they get paid, go to the School website.

Summertime, and the living is easy

Posted by Natasja on 19 July 2006

Well, living is not quite that easy. With the current heatwave (as reported earlier), everyone in London seems to be struggling a little bit ;-)

Like a lot of my classmates, I've taken the opportunity of the 3 month summer break between first and second year to do an internship. In a long-forgotten previous life I was a management and IT consultant working in the utilities sector. I started off working for one of the big consultancies, but left when I was made an offer I couldn't (and didn't want to) refuse from a small boutique firm. Although I liked certain aspects of consultancy and of the utilities sector, it wasn't what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

BUT I had no idea what it was that I did want to do, if not for life, then at least for the summer. So I set about finding out. After taking tests, talking to career coaches, talking to classmates, paying attention to which things I loved without being prompted, I decided that marketing was the name people gave the stuff that I loved doing and was passionate about. So marketing it was.

Next thing was to find out a) what exactly in marketing it was that I wanted to do and b) finding an internship that matched that. Again, talking to career services (very helpful), career coaches (who were a big support, especially for those days that I thought I was going to be unemployed forever), classmates and alumns. And it was through one of those alumns that I found out about a company that fitted my bill exactly and through which I ended up being interviewed at that company and offered a position. This summer I'm working at a branding and marketing strategy agency, and I am learning so much. They normally don't take interns, so instead of 'boring' intern work, they let me work on all kinds of cool projects and make sure that I see as much of the business as I want.

As I was writing this, I was thinking about what I would've wanted to read a year ago, before coming out to start my MBA. I think it was the reassurance that it is possible to have no clue what you want to do and find out and get an internship in that area. And I think the reassurance that if you stick to your guns, work hard, and take a few disappointments (and I've had my share), you can find something incredible to do over the summer. And no, I am not just making this up because it looks nice on the blog, my internship fairytale does have a happy ending :-)

Hot in the city

Posted by Adcoms on 18 July 2006

Well the English summer has well and truly arrived!  The MBA Programme Office was melting as temperatures hit 33C (91F) on Monday, the hottest day of the year so far, and it looks set to continue with the BBC Weather Centre predicting London temperatures to reach 37C (99F) on Wednesday, breaking the July record of 36C.    (While lecture theatres and study spaces benefit from air-con, some administration offices still go without! Although it does fuel our national obsession of talking about the weather!)

At least with official engagements finished for the time being we can come in casual dress, and we  also have the bonus of being based just across the road from Regent’s Park in case anyone wants to top up the suntan during lunch. (Regent’s Park is one of 8 Royal Parks that provide 5,000 acres of green space to Londoners. Put in context, that is around 6 times bigger than NYC’s Central Park.)

These are a few pics taken in the park this lunchtime.  Dsc00039_2Dsc00052Dsc00045Dsc00053

On a “work” front, summer is usually the quiet(er) time of year for the admissions team. The calm before the storm of the autumn fairs and information sessions.  The new promotional brochure is being designed, the events schedule is being finalised, the application form is edited, and the final few places for this year’s class are being allocated.  The final admissions deadline passed last Friday, so 95% of the new class is now known, but there will still be a little movement from the Wait-list right up until the beginning of class in late August. 

That's enough for now. I'm off to get an ice-cream!

Essay Questions 2006/2007

Posted by Adcoms on 10 July 2006

The Admissions Committee met at the end of last week to determine the essay questions for the coming admissions year, and this is the result.  One or two changes have been made to last year’s questions, notably that Question 1 has been split into two.  Following a little bit of confusion last year, the wording of Question 4 has been tweaked in order to make it clearer (Tip: There is no need to think of a club that does not currently exist).

New to this year’s application, Question 6 has been added following several queries as to where applicants might submit additional information that they wanted to relay to the Admissions Committee.  However, this question is optional.

Question 1 (500 words)
In what role do you see yourself working immediately after graduation?  Why?  How will your past and present experiences help you achieve this?  How will the London Business School MBA Programme contribute to this goal? 

Question 2 (200 words)
Where do you see your career progressing five years after graduation and what is your longer term career vision?

Question 3 (500 words)
Please describe your experience of working in and leading teams, either in your professional or personal life.  Given this experience, what role do you think you will play in your study group, and how do you intend to contribute to it?

Question 4 (400 words)
Student involvement is an extremely important part of the London MBA experience and this is reflected in the character of students on campus. What type of student club or campus community event do you envisage yourself leading? How would you set about becoming involved in a leadership position and how would you align and communicate the goals and vision for the club to the wider School community?

Question 5 (150 words)
Describe any significant experiences outside of your home country. What did you gain from these?

Question 6 (300 words) (This question is optional)
Is there any other information that you believe would help the MBA Admissions Committee when considering your application?

The online application form will be made live in a few weeks, but for those of you that wish to make a start on the essays, the template document can be downloaded here. Download essay_template_mba2009.doc

One hot Week

Posted by Guillaume on 09 July 2006

Truth is, this week has been really hot here in London, Monday setting the tone with temperatures in the 30 / 35 °C (around 90F). However, what’s making this week really hot for us the graduating class of 2006 (and that includes all programmes: MBA, Sloan, MiF, PhD) is that it’s the last one!

So, before leaving for a week of vacation in Mexico and starting with American Express in London, I came back from my Parisian exile (I had no more credits in the last term) for this great festivity programme.

The Capstone course
For the first time, the school has planned a 3-day wrap-up class taught by two of its most entertaining faculty (Dominic Houlder & Freek Vermeulen). On the menu: case discussions around corporate turnarounds and personal transformation, writing our personal ‘statement of intent’ to capture our commitments, aspirations and how we envision our personal transformation. And for desert, an alumni panel, a drink with the Dean and a study of different leadership styles and transformation à la Gregory Peck (1949 movie Twelve O'Clock High).

Dis-orientation
I think this was also the first time the student association planned an official disorientation to end our 2 years as they started with drinks and parties: picnic, scavenger hunt, Hawaiian pub crawl and the second football world cup semi-finale.

Here I have to stop and say that the “pillars” of the French Club (of which I happen to be) all met at the Sports Café nearby Trafalgar Square to watch the game among French people -everybody was welcome of course and we spotted a few Mexicans among others. France qualification to the last game (which was not expected at the start of the tournament) is of course adding to the “hotness” of the week. Like the London Italian community did on the night before, the French Londoners gathered to party in Soho (especially in Piccadilly Circus).

Congregation
But that’s not all. The biggest day of the week, from an academic point of view as well as from the viewpoint of everybody’s parents, was the congregation on Friday: An awesome ceremony in the giant marquee installed on the lawn followed by a great champagne garden party on the front lawn itself were the highlights of the day. Wearing our gowns and hats, we were called to stage to shake the Dean’s hand and receive a certificate (the Degree will be awarded at the end of July). As the date coincided with the commemoration of the 7/7 London attack, 2 minutes of silence were observed at noon.

I appreciated to have my family around, to see all my friends and to meet their families, as others have. Besides, I had a short chat with our Dean, Laura Tyson who is leaving at the end of the year. During her final speech, she claimed to belong to the class of 2006 and promised she’ll be among us for the 5-year reunion. I am looking forward to it.

Summer Ball
Last but not least, the Summer Ball was the true capstone of the week. The theme picked up this year by the organising students was “Venetian Masquerade”. After a garden reception, the evening started by a very nice dinner and ended with an amazing party, all in a formal “black tie” setting on the campus ground. On the dance floor, at the casino table and between the bars and tables, endless discussions and fun sealed not less fun and endless friendships. This was truly a memorable moment for all of us, as the final event of our studies at London Business School and the first of many parties as Alumni.

New admission dates 2006/07

Posted by Adcoms on 05 July 2006

Hot off the press, the Admission Committee have just released the new admission dates for the Full-time MBA Programme beginning in September 2007.  Admission is divided into 4 stages, the dates of which are:-

Application deadlines:
Stage 1: 20 October 2006
Stage 2: 05 January 2007
Stage 3: 23 February 2007
Stage 4: 27 April 2007
(Applications must be submitted by 17.00 London time).

The online application is currently being edited for the new admissions year and should be ready in late summer, however we expect to release the new essay questions later this week. View the full list of admissions requirements on our website.